Newcastle-under-Lyme railway station opened in September 1852, after numerous construction difficulties involving the two tunnels of 605 yards (553 m) and 96 yards (88 m) respectively at Hartshill.There were also two halts to the west of Newcastle railway station, located at Brampton and Liverpool Road.Nationally, the town was ranked with Chester, York and Hull as the four major pipe producers.This industry continued until the mid-19th century when decline set in rapidly and by 1881 only one tobacco pipe maker was left.He served in the governments of Harold Wilson and Jim Callaghan, as PPS to Eric Varley as Minister of Technology, a Labour whip in opposition, and Minister for Employment, stepping down in 1986.
Very fine red earthenware and also soft-paste porcelain tableware (the first such production in Staffordshire) was produced in Newcastle at Samuel Bell's factory in Lower Street between 17 when all production ceased.
The section from Silverdale to Market Drayton closed to passengers in May 1956 and the rest of the line in March 1964.
Only small sections remained from Madeley to Silverdale, and from Silverdale to Holditch, for coal traffic from the local collieries.
Manufacture of fine bone china was re-established in the borough in 1963 by Mayfair Pottery at Chesterton.
The manufacture in the borough of clay tobacco smoking pipes started about 1637 and grew rapidly and was second only to hatting within the borough.